In order to highlight all the incredible staff, youth, adults, and Chapters who are part of The 84 Movement, we have decided to start new monthly feature posts! We will interview some of these key people to get to know them a little better.
This month our Statewide Leadership Team member feature is….Rachel Cohan!
- Where are your from? Holbrook, Massachusetts
- What is your favorite food? Pad Thai and dumplings
- What made you want to join The 84 Movement? Seeing the previous SLT members do their presentations at Youth Power Summit. The possibility of an experience like that, is one I could not overlook.
- How did you first learn about The 84? I learned about it through my chapter advisor, who is also directs my school musicals. She invited me to a Holbrook Cares meeting for the first time, which is like the town coalition against drug and substance abuse, and after told me about the 84 Movement, and how it was geared towards youth like myself. After she invited me to YPS with the rest of our chapter.
- What is your favorite part about being on the Statewide Leadership Team? The uniqueness of the job. It’s so different than any other position I’ve ever had. I’m 15 years old, and I’ve planned and ran a statewide event. How many people my age can say that? It’s such a positive and supportive atmosphere, and we’re all such uniquely different people. I enjoy learning and doing new things every week
- What is one thing you HAVE to have in your backpack at all times? Snacks: any sort of chip-food, or candy. Literally anything I can eat is fine. lol
- What is one of the funniest moments you have had working with the Statewide Leadership Team? At my first event, that I participated in, we had planned to do an online game of Kahoot, targeted around information we shared from previous events. The internet wasn’t working so instead, Each of us doing the opening read one of the kahoot questions, and I ran around handing the microphone to me. On my way back to the stage I almost tripped up the stairs, it was very funny to me. If it wasn’t the funniest, it sure was the most memorable moment on the SLT
- What is one message you have for youth about their role in tobacco control? In a fight like this, there will always be an opposition, someone who is adamantly against you. Never let the opinion or views of anyone else, no matter how powerful it may be, ever stop you from expressing and fighting for your voice to be heard