What is the Statewide Leadership Team (SLT)?
The SLT is an opportunity to build youth power with other high school students from all over Massachusetts! You will be the voices that lead The 84 Movement; you will get to plan statewide events, facilitate workshops, and engage in leadership and identity development. We don’t just focus on Vaping and Tobacco Industry Tactics, we also focus heavily on social and racial justice. SLT are empowered to choose their own social justice focus and raise awareness of topics they are passionate about. The 84 Movement and the SLT strives to be a place for everyone, including people who may use commercial tobacco products. We recognize that smoking or vaping can be an addiction and we are committed to creating a supportive space.
What is the time commitment?
- We meet weekly on Tuesdays at 7PM on Zoom from September-June. SLT will have access to a calendar of meetings and role assignments.
- You make up the SLT space, so it is important for you to be present in the space. While we understand schedules are hectic, SLT should prioritize these meetings and make sure they are available for as many meetings as possible.
- Around major events, there may be additional meetings and/or weekly meetings that go longer.
- There are events that require mandatory attendance, whether virtual or in-person. These may include:
- Youth Power Summit- Date and location TBD in October/November
- Kick Butts Day- Date TBD, usually in April. Virtual or in Boston.
- End of Year Celebration- Date TBD in June
- In addition, if events are held in-person, there will be required planning meetings held at the Health Resources in Action office in Boston. These include:
- Youth Power Summit- In person preparation meeting- Date TBD weekend day in October/November
- Kick Butts Day In-person preparation meeting- Date TBD weekend day in March/April
- Attending Youth Power Summit, Kick Butts Day, and prep meetings are mandatory.
- Travel to in-person events is provided by The 84 and travel expenses for in-person meetings will be reimbursed
- Each meeting, one SLT is assigned to facilitate and another SLT is assigned to note-take. At the start of the year, a schedule of meetings with role assignments is shared with the team.
- If you are unable to facilitate or notetake during your assigned week, it is your responsibility to switch with someone arrange coverage.
What opportunities are offered?
- Opportunities may include:
- Facilitating workshops
- Hosting/emceeing statewide events
- Speaking at public hearings
- Participating on panels or media interviews
- Potential to earn incentives like stipends and swag, funding dependent
- Opportunities are distributed collaboratively; sometimes SLT can sign up and sometimes 84 Staff offer opportunities to specific SLT based on their engagement, passion, goals, and experience.
The deadline to apply is Wednesday, June 30th at 11:59pm.