Youth Power Summit is one of our favorite days of the year- we bring together youth from across Massachusetts to get trained on important topics like tobacco, vaping, and racial justice. YPS is all about youth power, so with it being virtual this year, it got us to thinking…what if YOUTH were the presenters?
What we’re asking
We’re asking Chapters to submit proposals for a workshop or presentation they would like to present at this year’s virtual Youth Power Summit. Three Chapters will be selected to lead breakout rooms at our virtual summit on November 16, 2020.
Here are some guidelines to think about when creating your proposal:
- Each selected proposal should be translated into a break-out style workshop or presentation that can be led via Zoom
- Presentations should be developed and facilitated by youth
- The tentative time slot for each selected presentation is 30-45 minutes
- Proposals can be something you’ve presented before, or something new you are creating
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for presentations that are engaging, creative, and help inspire change within our movement. Over the past several years, The 84 has focused on racial justice work and encouraged Chapters to do the same. As we continue on the path of anti-racism, we want to encourage Chapters to highlight work they have done in this area or are thinking about within their presentation.
We want you to decide what you would like to present on, but here are some ideas to help you:
- Share a story of work you’ve done in your Chapter
- Are you a mini-grantee who made a huge impact through your project?
- Have you had a recent win passing a local policy in your city/town?
- Has your Chapter engaged your school or community in a creative way?
- Have you worked to address inequities in your community?
- Teach us about something that you’re passionate about
- Are there other issues beyond tobacco that your Chapter has been working on?
- Are you passionate about mental health, the environment, LGBTQ+ communities, sexual health, or another topic that affects health equity? Tell us more!
How do we apply?
- Confirm that if selected, you are available to present on November 16, 2020 (time is TBD but will be in the afternoon, after school hours)
- Submit your proposal HERE by 5PM on September 30, 2020
What are the selection criteria?
- Members of the Statewide Leadership Team will be selecting presentations based on the following criteria:
- Completeness of application
- Creativity of content to be presented
- Level of audience interactivity
- Incorporation of equity into the presentation
What happens if we’re selected?
- You will be notified by October 5th if you have been selected as a presenter
- The 84 staff will work with you as you create your presentation and provide technical support during the event via weekly Zoom meetings during the month of October
- Chapters who are selected to present will receive a $500 stipend for their work